Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Introverts in Ministry?



Here's an unofficial poll. I'd like your comments. I'll respond via blog later.

Unofficial Poll: In your opinion, can an introvert be effective in ministry and remain an introvert?

Let me clarify a couple of things.

1) I'm speaking of a real introvert - someone who processes internally rather than externally, someone who draws their energy from solitude and/or being with a small group of close friends or family. Not someone who has low self-esteem.

2) I'm speaking of pastoral staff ministry.

2 comments:

Josh said...

Yes, I believe a natural introvert can succeed in ministry (I am one!) but that he must train himself to engage in an extroverted manner when necessary.

Dustin said...

Introversion and extroversion are preferences. Everyone is born preferring one over the other, however, as we grow older we learn to "do" both of them. Just b/c someone has a preference for introversion doesn't mean that can't/don't/won't need to have the ability to act in an extroverted way (as Josh alluded to).

So, yes, just b/c you have a preference for introversion doesn't mean you can't "succeed" (of course we need to define succeed :) in ministry (BTW, are you talking pastoral ministry?)

A great example of this would be Louie Giglio.