Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Thoughts on the Presidency (and the President)



I think we’re all aware that today is a great day in the history of the United States. Whether you are a Democrat or a Republican – or neither – you know today is big.

Today our first African-American President was inaugurated. It’s a day to be proud of our nation. The dream of racial equality is coming true. It’s also a day that I find myself a little sad – and more than a little embarrassed – about the state of civil rights in America. What took us so long?

Like millions of Americans, I am ready for change, and President Obama speaks of change my heart longs to see – a change in the way the politics of our government work. (For the sake of full disclosure, let me say that I did not vote for Obama.) A change in the petty arguments, the partisan divisions.

His words are beautiful and paint a portrait of an America I think most of us would love to see – one defined not by consumerism and narcissism, but by generosity and kindness.

But I’m not sure that government-enforced wealth sharing is really the way to go.

And the fact that Obama’s record is extremely pro-choice is terrifying to me.

My prayer is that God will grant him the wisdom to lead our nation and the humility to serve our nation. My hope is that he will be just as great a president as some think he will be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree that when Obama got inaugurated, it was a big deal for history. And I do agree that much, constant prayer is needed for our new president and his staff. However, I do not agree he will live up to the "promises" and "change" he says he will make in America. I think he is a corrupt man and thus will lead America further down this spiraling immoral trend. I may be wrong about his leadership skills, but nothing in his past has made me think otherwise, even the recent "beautiful" words he may speak (that are in reality written for him).
I do, however, have complete faith and trust in the Lord my God. I know He is the ultimate King of kings and Ruler of all things. So, I will not put my hope in a fallen, immoral man, but a perfect, soveriegn, just and loving God.
Thank you.